OED Word of the Day on International Women's Day: sister, n. A woman or girl considered in relation to another person or other people, as the child of the same parents; a female sibling. Also: a (fellow) female advocate of women's rights, a (fellow) feminist.
Happiness is not by chance, but by choice.
skedonk, n. In South African English: an old, dilapidated motor vehicle.
barangay, n. In the Philippines: a village, suburb, or other demarcated neighbourhood; a small territorial and administrative district forming the most local level of government.
cocoa cake, n. A waste product obtained during the processing of fermented cocoa beans, consisting of fragments of the outer layers of the beans in the form of pressed cake.
antitail, n. A luminous protuberance which appears to extend from a comet's head towards the sun.
vote-a-rama, n. An event held with the aim of registering many people to vote.
rabbity, adj. Resembling, characteristic of, or suggestive of a rabbit; containing many rabbits.
hiraeth, n. Originally and chiefly in the context of Wales and Welsh culture: deep longing for a person or thing which is absent or lost; yearning; nostalgia; spec. homesickness.
pantechnic, adj. Relating to or including all the arts, or all subjects.
stromboli, n. A type of savoury pastry made with dough (typically pizza dough) that is folded over or rolled up to enclose a filling of cheese and meat or vegetables.
- In Surprise Twist, COVID-19 Can Cause Weird Skin Rashes. Here’s What to Look Out For March 8, 2021
- A Single Cave in Germany Is One Possible Origin of Early Wolf Domestication March 8, 2021
- We’ve Found The Best Time And Place to Live in The Milky Way… And It’s Not Here March 8, 2021
- AI Can Now Learn What Faces You Find Attractive Directly From Your Brain Waves March 8, 2021
- A Foreign Object Stuck in Teen’s Nose For 8 Years Led to a ‘Mysterious Odor’ March 8, 2021
OED Word of the Day on International Women's Day: sister, n. A woman or girl considered in relation to another person or other people, as the child of the same parents;...